VPN or Virtual Private Network is a term that has been taken to the next level in the wake of advancement in science and technology. IP traffic can travel securely over the TCP/IP network if VPN is used. There are several pros related to the idea which makes VPN a must have for all the systems as it works fast and is a reliable source of accessing the open internet. You can get the best VPN services on AntaNet website which will make the choice easy for you.
Summary of benefits
Below is a summary of VPN advantages that are enjoyed by people from all around the world even without knowing most of them:
- VPN makes you anonymous, as the information and data travel is encrypted therefore it means that you can use the VPN to share sensitive data online as tunnel endpoints are never identified and travel remains undercover.
- The legitimacy is another advantage that is associated with The receiver gets the surety that the packet sent is from a legitimate user and not hacker or attacker.
- Data integrity is preserved till it reaches where it is intended to be. It is not possible to alter data contents if it is traveling over VPN.
- Replay attacks are completely eliminated. The receiver can reject the old and duplicate data packets to ensure that the replay attacks are prevented.
Some of the VPN technologies with their advantages are listed as under:
- Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)
It is the most widely used and common internet technology. It is used with IP only and the traffic directed to that IP is completely encrypted. To make the data travel more secure IPSec uses the idea of pre-shared keys and digital certificates to authenticate both parties.
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Client-server interaction security is the main aim of SSL. Cryptography is used to authenticate the server to client and vice versa to ensure that entire communication session is encrypted. FTP, email and HTTP data travel is made secure by this protocol.
- Transport Layer security (TLS)
It requires a digital certificate from both client and the server to authenticate the identities. The traffic above the transport layer is then secured. It is important to remember that at the transport layer TLS does not provide any kind of security and safety.
Company based VPNs
Apart from open VPN technologies, company based VPNs have also been developed to secure the client and business interests. Below are some of these technologies:
- Point to Point Tunneling protocol (PPTP)
Developed by Microsoft this technology uses standard protocols to ensure that the session is encrypted and secured. Password authentication protocol (PAP) is one such mechanism used. It supports TCP/IP only and can be configured on most operating systems as well as servers.
- Layer 2 Forwarding (L2F)
It is a VPN technology developed by CISCO and ensures a mutual handshake as well as the merger with PPTP which in result create L2TP. The only disadvantage about the technology is that it does not provide data encryption.